Tuesday 13 March 2012

Added Value Brands



For those of you who know me, you will know that I have always been very “anti-Apple”. I was more than happy with my blackberry, my forever failing Toshiba laptop and until someone forced an iPod Nano upon me due to “embarrassment” I was rather satisfied with my little mp3 player (I can’t even remember what make it was now).

What bothered me was the lack of consumer choice there was when it came to buying phones and even other types of technology. All around me there was, and still is, Apple logos everywhere. Everyone sitting with their Macbooks, listening to their iPods and using their iPhones. How did one company manage to dominate a market so intensely? Where was the competition? And where were our choices?!

Look at the iPad for example. It wasn’t Apple who came up with the concept; it was Microsoft back in 2000. Apple didn’t release their first iPad until 2010. Consumers didn’t want these tablet products until Apple made one. Why?

I realised the answer to this question only the other day: I decided to purchase an iPhone. The differences between my blackberry and iPhone are substantial. However that wasn’t the “pin-point” moment. It was when I actually went into the Apple store with my new phone. Everything about the place represented the brand. It was cool, modern and a community of products. There was a demonstration going on about how to use the iPad and all of its features, there were kids playing on computers at a “kid’s area” and at the genius bar there were several people with their iPads, Macbooks and iPhones out.

When I sat down for my appointment the member of staff called me by my first name which surprised me, a personal approach rarely adopted by other companies. Not only did he fix my connection problem, he also sat and gave me a quick tutorial on how to use my phone to the best of its advantage after he learnt I’d never had one before. What a difference from the awful service I’d once received when I’d had a problem with my old phone!

So I have realised, people don’t just buy the products offered by Apple, they buy into the Apple Brand, and I can see why. Not only does the brand offer a representation of a cool personality, it offers ongoing personal customer service, something rare from many technology (and non-technology) brands today. In today’s recession, companies can succeed by offering that extra mile of customer service which ultimately adds value to their brand. Remembering someone’s name doesn’t exactly cost a lot, and its an added touch that won’t be forgotten!

No comments:

Post a Comment