Wednesday 29 February 2012

Grad Students: How do we stand out from the next?


2009: Harry Potter Night
As a spinster old 4th year student, I am forced to reflect back on my years at university and be slightly bitter about all the things I used to, and used not, to do. First year was spent in the students union and at any club promo night that offered me “free entry” and “shots for a pound”. I hate to admit it, I'd probably be dressed in neon and bouncing on the bouncy castle in clubs that was a bit of a hit back then. When I wasn't practising my downing sambuca technique, I'd be working 4 days a week to fund this lifestyle. As for uni, more than one lecture a day seemed like a hardship and was rather rare. So that was my life: a little bit of work, and a lot of partying.


2009: Geek Night
It was only when I started to think about what businesses I'd like to apply to once uni was over that I started to consider my CV. Competition will be fierce: we're all going to graduate with the same degree and the same qualifications. What will tell me apart from the graduate student next to me with the same 2:1? We need to show that we have excelled ourselves in other areas non-academically. We need to have something to show off about.

It all comes down to what your CV says about you. Think of yourself as a brand. What do your hobbies, interests and activities say about you? Whilst you have the time, get involved in societies and sports teams that you are actually interested in. Take the opportunity to become actively involved in something, not just jot your name down on the sign up sheet for the sake of it. Help to run events and take on the promotion of the societies activities. Consider your part time job as well: try and get something that will be relevant to your future. For example, hoping to get into tourism? Then get a part time job as a waiter in a hotel. Trying to get into marketing? Take a job that's customer orientated, or works with targets. Everything is a starting point. Its these little things that will give you something to talk about, and help to diverse yourself from the others.

It is now that I look back on the past few years, and there's a part of my that thinks I should have done that bit more when I had the chance to. Sure, I've been a fairly regular business society member, and for a year or two I was part of the cheerleading squad, but there was always that chance for me to do that bit more. Luckily I realised this before it was too late, and have certainly made up for it this year! Its just so happens it's the year that I have to spend Mon-Sun in the library. So take note all you youthful freshers, don't take all your spare time for granted. You've been given this time for a reason: use it wisely!

No comments:

Post a Comment